Saturday, April 02, 2005

At one with the world

It is pouring rain, and more rain, today.
I did get a good run in.
Sometimes, the rain helps.

I needed to be warm to get going.
It was 38 and felt like 30 so I wore my tights,
long sleeve top, t-shirt and baseball cap.
Did not want a jacket.
More to wear, more water weight to carry.
Oh, and my old glittens (glove mitten combo).

Did my Jordan Road loop in reverse
from the normal way I run it.
Reverse provides for a different view,
a tougher hill, but a familiar route.

Felt good. Legs loose, strong.
Striding on my toes.
Avoiding puddles.
Cap keeping the rain out of my eyes.

Birds chirping all around.
They're not bothered by the rain.

Cars, vans, trucks
all Saturday morning traffic.
Off the main road finally onto Jordan.
Quieter here. Still birds around
perhaps commenting on my running style
or craziness to be out in the rain.

The miles disappear behind me.
The gutter continues to challenge me
with puddles and road detritus.
Legs still strong coming up the last hill
to the home stretch
this will be a good one.
Overall 3 minutes faster than
I ran this in December (according to the log).

An easy warm down around the block
adds another half mile,
lets the moment of success linger
legs recover, catch my breath
and then finally walk the last
bit to the house and out of the rain.

Remembering Creeley's line:
"... wet with a decent happiness."