Monday, February 18, 2008

Foxboro 5K - start

After the 10 milers are sent off, the 5K starts. As the runners gathered, you'll hear lots of conversations and very little instruction from the front. Then there is a muffled "ready", the horn sounds and we're off.



I only took the first 30 seconds or so of the start, hey I was supposed to be running this too!

I took it easy, starting slow, working my way into some running room and then stretching the legs a bit to be comfortable without really pushing it.

I had not started my watch (my hands were busy with the camera so I would be dependent upon my sense of pace. I did well considering I had not run since the prior Sunday. Monday I "felt" my ankle in a way that I don't normally. It seemed like it would be wise to rest it. I have come along very well thus far. I don't want to start all over again. A little time now should be better than more later.

I finished comfortably in 24:40 (7:57/mile) about a minute faster than the Thanksgiving run and also about a minute faster than I did here a year ago (that was also a recovery period as I was coming back from my dislocated knee cap at that time).

The ankle is no worse today for the run yesterday. It is not a whole lot better but I didn't really expect that either.

I'll continue to take it easy. A good excuse to really focus on the strengthening exercises that are the "plus 2" part of the First or "3 plus 2" plan.

Complete 5K results can be found on Cool Running