Thursday, April 15, 2010

Oreo kind of day

Oreo? What are you talking about?
You know how a sandwich cookie, like an Oreo is hard on the outside and soft in the middle?


That was like my track workout today. The first and last were focused efforts and close to the target pace, the two middle halves got off to a slow start and I struggled to keep them in the ball park.

I was at the track to do 4 x 800 (or half miles). I did 3:35, 3:57, 3:49,  and 3:38.

Definitely suffered from a lack of focus as I started the middle two reps. I could feel my mind wandering away, picking through one or more of my "to do" list and taking it on, instead of concentrating on the run.

There was a strong breeze on the straight-away and you didn't feel it on the back stretch so that helped to contribute the 'lazy' start. I should have shifted to start on the other end so I would go into the breeze to begin with and that would wake me up. Instead, I got lulled into a nice easy pace on the back stretch, then came around the corner facing the breeze and a pace deficit that wouldn't be easy to recover from.

Concentration is key to pace work. Especially when you are doing it alone!

May the roads and trails be kind to you today or your next run.

Note photo credit to sassyradish for use of the handmade oreo - looks yummy!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sassyradish/3382035562/sizes/m/