Sunday, August 07, 2005

Good Sunday Run

The weather was cooperative today. Approximately mid-60's, no humidity to speak of. A good day to run. Three other Pacers joined me for the 10K fun run this morning. Plenty of chatter kept us going through the first 3 or so miles, then we hit the long incline up King Street and the chatter slowed (realistically stopped) as we focused on the task at hand.

I am very familiar with this stretch of King and stayed on the left side as the road bent coming to the Rt 495 crossing. The others moved across the street and then ended up coming back to my side as the road bent back past the Parmenter School and we headed into the last mile. I had to stop briefly as I picked up some glass that stuck to the bottom of my shoe. Once that was handled, I was able to resume my stride.

Felt good after the run. My hamstrings were tight but no knee tightness (IT Band) which has been lingering recently. My adjusted running is allowing enough recovery to avoid further complications (I hope). I walked Saturday and did my Narcessian set of lifting to help provide some cross training (and save the legs). One casualty of this adjustment is a drop in the mileage (from 20-25 to 10-15) but the quality is good so I will not allow that factor to drive my thought and make me change back at this time.

As mentioned previously, I have 4 races coming up in a span of 8 days and need to maintain fresh legs. The races are shorter overall (400, 5K, 7.1 miles, and 1 mile) than the previous 4 races in 10 days (then they were all 5K or better). I have done the prework required on the hills, the track and good distance. So the tapering now is really appropriate. I will get the mileage back after this stretch in preparation for the race-a-month routine I look forward to in Sep, Oct, and Nov.

My mind set will be as critical as keeping my legs fresh. I am focused and need to remain that way without going overboard. Life presents plenty of opportunity for dissonance. I need to let it slide by me.

I hope your running is going well! If you need someone to talk about it, whether you want to adjust your plans or just need re-enforcement on how you are going, let me know.