Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Summer Sizzler Results

I ran the 400 tonight at the Summer Sizzler meet at Franklin High School. It was warm but I have run in warmer weather this summer. I was assigned the 4th or outside lane in the open heat, all the other runners were inside (and behind) me due to the staggered start. I was not worried. I have run in all lanes at one time or another. They stayed there. I did not hear them coming at all. And when I reached the finish line, they were not close. I managed to finish well in 64.9 This was down one second from a couple of weeks ago. But still off what I want to do. I know I have at least a 62 in these legs. I'd like to think I can get below 60 but time is already running out this summer.

Next week would be the last chance. The following week, the Pacers hold their Grand Prix mile at the same track meet. I prepared for that by running the 1000 also tonight. I ran a good 6:00 mile pace; going through the half at 3:00 and finishing at 3:44. Not bad at all.

I will be adjusting my mileage and effort to stay healthy and keep the legs fresh. They did feel good once I had warmed up tonight. I want to get some distance in this weekend. I have the 400 again next Wednesday, followed by the next Pub Run on Thursday and then the Falmouth Road Race on Sunday, closing out with the Grand Prix mile the 17th.

This is a busy stretch of running coming up with some key performance opportunities. My head is in the right place. Now I need to keep the legs fresh and we'll see what happens.

Happy trails to you!