Monday, May 02, 2005

Pace - What is yours?

I think this is a big question that runners should not avoid.

What is your race pace?
What is your normal workout pace?
I think you need to know.

Where are you today? Where do you want to be?
These are also important questions that knowing your pace will help you answer.

The old adage proclaims: any road will get you there if you do not know where you are going.

I prefer to know where I am as well as where I am going.
Much of the fun is encountered getting there, not just when you have arrived there.

I am currently running about an 8 minute mile for my road work.
(My best recent race was at an average of 7:40 per mile.)

My goal is to get back closer to the 6:00/6:15 mile pace I ran when I was younger for the 5K and 10K races.

I also have a goal to break 60 seconds for 400 meters. (I got down to 65 during last summer of 2003.)

Yes, that is quite a way to go. I think I can do it.

Tuesday is hill work: 1.5 miles hard up hill, 1.5 miles easy recovery with a mile warm up and another mile warm down for a total 5 mile work out. The up hill sections are broken out into six parts. We go up the long side hard (approx. .3 mile), down the short side (approx. .2 mile) easy. Up the short side hard, down the long side easy. Repeat three times.

Thursday has been a good steady distance run of 4-6 miles. The Norfolk County Pacers will start some track workouts this week to start to answer the pace question.

I'll be assisting the runners in finding their pace on the quarter mile track and work on my own pacing as well.

Saturday will be a good distance day and so will Sunday. If I have a race on the weekend, Saturday will be less effort/distance to prepare for the race. With no race, I should be able to gradually cover 14-18 miles over the two days. I am currently at 6 and 8, and working towards 6 and 12.

Four days of good steady effort and three days of rest and recovery in the week.
Currently about 20 miles per week and I want to move that closer to 30.
Staying healthy, with good weather and a cooperative schedule, I think this is doable.

I'll keep you posted.