Monday, May 23, 2005

Race day reflections

Yes, the race day came and went quickly. The weather held. It was overcast, threatening but the rain stayed away. It was cool and raw, high 40's low 50's, so I wore my good long sleeve weather and team t-shirt over it.

The Norfolk County Pacers team had a real good turnout, members running, members volunteering and family members volunteering.

Cool Running has the official results here. The Pacer web site will get into team specifics soon.

The course was good, the first half mile basically up hill, then it flattened out through the turnaround point and stayed flat until the 2 mile marker when it sloped down hill until about a half mile from the finish when it flattened out again.

Recall my previous post on maintaining discipline at the start, I did. I ran negative splits finishing in my second best 5K time. A good workout. A good race to build on.

I also ended up getting 3rd in my age group. I need to do some more analysis but I think the age group winners should be more variable than 3 per category per sex. Come on, with all due respect, two runners in the 70-79 category walked away with awards (and on the one hand, they should just for coming out at that age), yet there was really healthy competition in the 40-49 category (including the overall winner) which "deprived" someone else of getting an award. I would make it a rule that you don't get two awards. If you won the race overall, you don't need to pick up the male age group. My two cents.

What do you think?