Friday, May 27, 2005

Rules to guide your running success

I was catching up to the March issue of Runner's World. Yes, I got behind and actually out of sequence as I found both the March and June issues in my bag today. I have been traveling by car to work more frequently (rather than taking the train) and I miss the training reading time. So heading home for this long weekend, there was no better reason than trying to catch up.

March was a good issue. I like this article by Dagny Scott Barrios in particular as it lists the 10 Laws to follow when coming back from injury, but really I think these rules of running should apply all the time.

The rules are listed here with my comments in italics. For additional details follow the link to Runner's World.

1 - Increase mileage gradually
no more than 10% per week

2 - Increase intensity gradually
I had not worked out a percent, Dagny calls for no more than 2-3%

3 - Increase mileage before speed
yes, always put the mileage in before switching to work on speed

4 - Alternate hard efforts with rest
hard/easy is something to live by, especially as you get older, the body needs its recovery time

5 - Pay attention to early warning signs
listen to your body with more than your ears, it will tell you whatever you need to know, it may takes some time to understand what it is telling you, but listen so you can eventually put two and two together

6 - Wear the right running shoes
yes, good fit, good support is imperative. I also go back to something once attributed to John Wooden (great basketball coach for UCLA), I tie my shoes with the right shoelace over the left. It is a little thing but it is part of the mindset, do right always.

7 - Mix it up
variety is the spice of life but by having a routine, you can adjust it or break it. With no routine, there is no adjustment needed but there also won't be the benchmarks needed to determine progress

8 - Increase your flexibility and strength
just because you run doesn't mean you are fit. Pay attention to your upper body. Arm strength actually helps maintain your speed and rhythm.

9 - Vary your workouts and terrain
if you run a loop course is especially important to alternate sides of the road, or run the course the opposite way the next time to avoid an imbalance by running on the same side of the crown in the road. Remember that concrete is harder than asphalt, asphalt is harder than dirt, dirt is harder than grass...

10 - Fuel properly
in addition to fuel (read diet) I would also add to obtain proper sleep

These should help to avoid injury and ensure a good run whenever you lace up those shoes!