Saturday, June 11, 2005

Norfolk Race Results

My third race this week was also hot (in the 80's) but in the morning (9:00 AM start) and along country roads on a rolling course so it was better than it could have been had the race been held later in the day. I was not expecting a third PR although I was hoping for it.

You can do a lot with your imagination. It is the first step to getting beyond what you have done before. You need to think about it. You need to imagine it. In my high school and college days when I high jumped, the preparation also included the visualization in my mind of making the leap over the bar and falling onto the mats. If I could not visualize the successful leap, it did not happen.

The visualization, the imagination, fosters the execution. Practice (i.e. workouts, which are aptly named) help you to execute at that performance level that you will need to do come race time. Successful execution in practice will lead to successful performances come race day.

The mind and body need to be operating together. So there will be days when they almost come together, days when they perfectly come together (and you wants lots of these), and days when they just don't make it together.

The reality of the third race this week struck. The body would not maintain the goal pace and I slowed each mile. It was still a good workout. I still learned something from the race. I know I need to work on my strength. The race performances confirmed that for me. I was not able to run negative splits. However, the week was still a success (three good races, 2 PR's).

Some good workouts to look forward to over the next week before another race next Saturday. Hopefully, the weather will be cooler for that one. If not, we'll certainly be better prepared for the heat.

Happy running!